Volleyball drawing planned
The Toronto Junior-Senior High School ladies Red Knight volleyball team is selling tickets for $5 each for a signed and framed Michael Jordan jersey. Upper Deck authenticated the jersey and has furnished a certificate and sticker.
Drawing tickets will be sold at all home volleyball and football games. Tickets also can be purchased from any volleyball team member. The winning ticket will be drawn on Oct. 9 during the final home volleyball game. For information, call (740) 381-9407.
All proceeds will go toward a team camp for the junior high and high school volleyball teams along with the necessary equipment.
North River Avenue Christian events
- Sunday - Worship service at 9:45 a.m.; junior church service in the junior worship area for youth ages 5 through fourth grade at 10:45 a.m.; Sunday school at 11 a.m.; youth group meets at 6 p.m.; and the evening worship service at 7 p.m.
- Monday - The Boy Scouts meet at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday - Adult Bible study begins at 7 p.m. Adult choir practice begins at 8:15 p.m.
- Sept. 21 - A van trip to Amish country will leave the church parking lot at 8 a.m. A new signup sheet is posted on the church bulletin board.
First Church of the Nazarene events
Sunday - Worship service will begin at 9 a.m.
Wednesday - The ladies' ministry meets at 10 a.m.
Thursday - Club 10:14 for children and teenagers begins at 5:30 p.m.
Sept. 22 - The church celebrates 85 years, beginning at 10 a.m.
Riverview United Methodist Church
- The church office is open from 8 a.m. until noon Mondays through Fridays. For information, call (740) 537-2210.
The Toronto Unit of the Salvation Army located in the Riverview Church is available from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. For information, call (740) 537-4737.
First United Methodist activities
- Sunday- The contemporary worship service will begin at at 8 a.m. Sunday school begins at 9 a.m. The worship service begins at 10 a.m.
-Monday - Bible study is at 6 p.m. The council on education will meet at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday - Bible study will be at 10 a.m.
- Wednesday - The bell choir will meet at 6 p.m. Choir practice is at 7 p.m.
- Thursday - TOPS is at 5:30 p.m.
- Sept. 20 - TOPS will meet at 9 a.m.
Prescription assistance program
Those between ages 18-64 who have no prescription drug insurance can call (740) 537-2210 for assistance. A team of volunteers will help clients apply for low-cost or no-cost medications. The free program has been providing assistance since 2002 at the Riverview United Methodist Church, 105 N. River Ave. Assistance is provided on the first Thursday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon. The entrance to the church is handicap accessible.
Those age 65 or older and who have no prescription insurance are eligible for the program.
This is not a distribution center for medications, but a volunteer-based program that assists in filling out paperwork and sending in necessary applications to drug manufacturers. Once approved, clients begin receiving medications directly from companies in six to eight weeks.
Bible Methodist Church activities
- Sunday - Morning Sunday school, 10 a.m.; service, 11 a.m.; evening service, 6 p.m.; weekly Bible study, 5:30 p.m.