WELLSBURG - More than 170 Brooke High School students were recognized for their outstanding efforts in the school's various career technical education courses at the program's annual awards program.
The following teens were named outstanding students in their respective areas of study: Lauren O'Brien, administrative support; Jackson Boyce, accounting; Jackson Carey, personal finance management; Jordan Harlan, automotive technology; Derek Roeder, carpentry; Angeline Smith, careers in education; Ryan Rodriguez, collision repair technology; Donald Parsons, computer systems repair technology; Melissa Graziano, marketing management; Gunner Taylor and Mark Cooper, both machine tool technology; Jason Scibetta, building maintenance and operations; and Nicole Shorts, early childhood education.
Each was presented a certificate of appreciation and gift from the career technical education department.
TOP STUDENTS — Among teens honored at the Brooke High School Career Technical Education Achievement Recognition Program were the following named outstanding students in their respective area of study, from left, front, Nicole Shorts, early childhood education; Jackson Boyce, accounting; Ryan Rodriguez, collision repair technology; and Lauren O’Brien, administrative support; and back, Jackson Carey, personal finance management; Jason Scibetta, building maintenance and operations; Gunner Taylor, machine tool technology; Derek Roeder, carpentry; Jordan Harlan, automotive technology; and Mark Cooper, machine tool technology. Also honored were Angeline Smith, careers in education; Donald Parsons, computer systems repair technology; and Melissa Graziano, marketing management. — Contributed
Scholarships totaling more than $35, 000 also were presented. They included:
- The Angelo and Betty Ciccolella Memorial Scholarship, in the amount of $600 to Jackson Boyce and $250 to Alec Buchmelter.
- Genevieve Chambers Scholarship, $250 each, Lauren O'Brien and Deanna Bucon.
- Noreen Argenta Mechling Scholarship, $500, Shelby Wade.
- Wellsburg High School Alumni Association, $1,890 each, Austin Barnhart, Alec Buchmelter, Keith Donley, Brianna Kowalsky, Jordan Harlan, Valerie Peterson, Colin Moser and Dustin Winski.
- Future Business Leaders of America/INTERACT, $500 each, Jackson Boyce and Jackson Carey.
- Brooke County Rotary, $500, Alec Buchmelter.
- James Kolb Scholarship, $500, Melissa Graziano.
- Gino Guglielmo Charitable Scholarship, $1,000 each, Shelby Wade, Jackson Boyce and Melissa Graziano.
- Albert Yanni Scholarship, $2,000 each, Austin Barnhart, Shelby Wade, Sarah Hardsouk and Haley Dalton. Lou Holtz/Upper Ohio Valley Hall of Fame Scholarship, $1,000, Jason Scibetta.
- Karen Simonetti Pay It Forward Scholarship, $500, Colin Moser.
- Rosedale Technical Scholarship, $500, Joey Pinacchio.
- Ohio Technical Scholarship, $2,500, Chance Pattison.
Jane Utz, co-chairman of the school's business marketing department, said, "Brooke County is very fortunate to have a community that supports career and technical education. Many organizations, individuals, and families have established scholarships to honor our students and assist them in their college endeavors. We are very thankful for their continued support."