Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

Canine alerts homeowners of fire in house

December 12, 2012
By DAVE GOSSETT - Staff writer ( , The Herald-Star

STEUBENVILLE - Mercidieu and Lisa Saintilien had finished delivering newspapers on a chilly Tuesday afternoon and returned to their home at 1409 Oak Grove Ave.

"They have two dogs. One they keep penned up while they are out and the other one was waiting for them when they walked into their home. The one that has the run of the house kept barking and wouldn't stop, which was unusual," according to Steubenville Assistant Fire Chief Mike Taylor.

"They started looking through the house and found a fire in a second floor bedroom and called for help," added Taylor.

Article Photos

HOUSE FIRE — Steubenville Assistant Fire Chief Mike Taylor, left, and firefighter Josh Morris talked to homeowners Mercidieu and Lisa Saintilien after an accidental fire damaged a bedroom in their Oak Grove Avenue residence Tuesday afternoon. - Dave Gossett

"Fortunately the Pleasant Heights firefighters had the fire knocked down before the crews from the downtown station and the West End station arrived on the scene. A lot of the houses on LaBelle are wood and located fairly close together. If this fire had continued, we could have had a problem on this street," said Taylor.

He noted the fire was contained to the bedroom, and no one was injured.

"We believe a burning candle ignited a nearby curtain and started the blaze. The homeowners were fortunate to come home when they did and the dog alerted them to the fire upstairs. We were initially notified of a possible structure fire, so you never know what you are going to find when you respond to an alarm," said Taylor.

And while the firefighters were putting away their hoses and equipment, Taylor was notified of a carbon monoxide alarm at an Alexander Manor residence.

"This incident is contained and now under investigation, so I can send two guys to check that house on Alexander Manor," Taylor told the fire department dispatcher.

I am looking for: