STEUBENVILLE - The Friendship Park Board, the county commissioners and Pugliese Campground were named in a lawsuit filed Friday in Jefferson County Common Pleas Court concerning a boy that was shocked and injured by an electrical box at Friendship Park on May 1, 2010.
The boy was 7 years old at the time and is a resident of Scott Featner Road, Mingo Junction, according to the lawsuit.
The lawsuit states the boy went to get a ball near an electrical box and fell forward, the lawsuit stated. There was a "bang type noise" and the boy was severely injured, the lawsuit states. His shirt was smoking, and he was burned, according to the lawsuit. The boy was taken to the hospital for treatment, according to the lawsuit.
The electric box was not properly maintained and was not properly secured, according to the lawsuit, and the attorneys representing the child and his guardians included pictures of the electrical box taken by a Jefferson County sheriff's deputy who did the initial investigation.
The lawsuit is seeking damages in excess of $25,000.
Andy Bryan, park board president, said he had no comment on the lawsuit and had yet to see a copy of it.