The Pleasant Hill School House Museum on state Route 213, Steubenville, had a busy 2011 and looks forward to more progress made in 2012.
Its December newsletter identifies goals for the new year as continuing the quest to secure ownership of the building and raising enough funding to install a heating system, which would enable the school house to be used year-round.
The roof was repaired thanks to the generosity of the Jefferson County Retired Teachers Association which donated $1,000 and the Reed Construction Co. which provided a discount. More deteriorating slates will need to be replaced in the near future.
In 2011 there were:
The Black Diamond Girl Scout Council No. 3319 from Pleasant Hill holds its monthly meetings at the school house as other groups are welcome to do so.
On the 2012 calendar are Community Day in July and the alumni reunion on Aug. 18.
To arrange visits, call (740) 264-3565 or (740) 283-1626.
The school house board of directors includes: Gloria Renda, president; John Finney, vice president; Richard Clashman, treasurer; Joanie Westover, secretary; Gordon Grafton, historian; Kay Finney, Cathie Llewellyn and Argie Kisner, fundraising committee; and Terry Zavacky, Karen Lundquist, Donnie Crawford and David Nicholson, board members. To become a member, annual membership levels are: student, $5; alumni, $10; family, $20; principal, $50; and superintendent, $100. Members receive two newsletters a year and free admission to all events. To become a member, send name, address, and telephone number and membership level fee to: Pleasant Hill School House Museum, 4355 Steuben Woods Drive, Steubenville, Ohio, 43952.